Monday, January 17, 2011

In Ten Years From Today I'll...

When I was 10 years old and somebody has asked me the question "where do you see yourself in 10 years?" I probably would've answered something like ...

"Well, I want to be married, or AT LEAST engaged. And I want to have babies, probably not yet, but soon. I don't want to wait too long you know... I have to keep the family young. I know my great grandparents, I want to be able to know my great grandchildren! OH, and I want to be an olympic swimmer!"

The 10 year old version of myself would be very disappointed in me right now.  I have no boyfriend, let alone a marriage prospect.... and I quit swimming when I was 13 (which happens to be one of my only regrets) so the dream of being an olympic swimmer is gone too.

This world's ideas and values and ambitions have changes so much even in the last twenty years.  When my mother was my age, she was getting ready to move in with my dad, who she'd been dating since she was in grade 10.  My dad was working full time and he owned a home.  Fast forward 20 years and here I am, slaving away in university with about 4 years left, no boyfriend, and no chance in hell of getting married.  If you're married and have kids before you are 27 people think you're absolutely crazy, especially if you're still in school.  Everyone is so self centred like "ohhh, I need to focus on my career.." Yeah, okay and while you're doing that, your uterus is going to dry up and you're never going to be able to have children.  Have fun.

So, where do I see myself in 10 years? Well, it's one of two options:

Options One: The Nun Plan.

Okay, so my roommate and I devised this plan that if we don't at least have marriage prospects by the time we're done university, then we're going to Bible College (because everyone just goes there to get married. They don't call it "Bridal College" for nothing)... however since she's going to Bible College in the fall, it looks like I'll be alone on this mission. 
     If Bridal College fails me, then I am going to join every internet dating site possible. Eharmony, Match.com, lavalife... you name it I'll sign up for it.  If THAT doesn't work, then I'm gonna pull a Maria from the Sound of Music and become a nun, and HOPEFULLY get sent off to some wonderful man who's wife died and we can fall madly in love with each other (just cut out the running from Nazis and thats a picture perfect life)!

If none of that works, well I guess I'm stuck being a nun, so I'll be married to Jesus, and as much as that would be great for my spiritual life, my sex life would take a HUGE toll (unless of course I found a naughty Bishop or something... I'm sure that happens).

Option Two: What I ACTUALLY Want.

In ten years I'd like to be in a loving married relationship with two children, and maybe in the process of adopting a third.  I want to be well traveled, and versed in many languages.  I hope to be established in my teaching career, and be a role model to the teen I teach.  I want to see my friends married and happy, and I want to be an aunty to my brothers kids.  I don't want to live anywhere near a convent.

I have no idea what the future holds for me.  To be honest with you, at this point I almost don't even care.  I have no many things that I want to do, that I am just going to see where life takes me.  Maybe all my hope and dreams wont come true, but all I really want... all anyone really wants, is to be happy, and surrounded by people who love them.

Thats what I want in my life: to be surrounded by life, bliss and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment